Monday 31 July 2017

STEPHAN'S SIX - HELEN CAMPBELL


In 2009 Helen Campbell picked up a paintbrush for the first time and within a year was commissioned to catalogue the orchard fruits that Westons Cider used at their factory in Much Marcle, Herefordshire. These beautiful botanical paintings eventually came to the attention of Bronnley and her image of the peony was used on last year’s Pink Peony & Rhubarb. Now living in Spain, and with her latest collaboration with Bronnley about to launch, I though it was time to find out a little bit more about Helen during “Stephan’s Six”.

What is the first smell that you can remember?
This is a rather strange answer but my very first smell memory is of my nursery school. When I was just one year old my mother used to take me there in the morning because she had to go to work. I can still remember the smell of the wood even to this day.

What was the first perfume you remember your mum or dad wearing?
My mother wore Anais Anais by Cacharel and, because this fragrance was so incredibly popular in the eighties, a good friend of mine at the time also wore it. So, for that reason, it will always remind me of that era as well as of my mother.

What was the perfume of your twenties?
I loved Eau de Gucci and it really was "my" perfume. This fragrance, sadly, no longer exists but I can still remember it to this day. I can remember the smell of it as I was walking around a particular department store in my hometown in Wales, and it will always remind me of that time. I now live in Spain, so it's a very strong memory to have.

What was your biggest perfume mistake?
It wasn't a mistake as such, it was more just the error of following so-called "perfume trends" and not my heart.

You can only choose one perfume?
There is only one fragrance I completely adore and that is Molecule 01 by Geza Schoen. It is a unique fragrance that always reminds me of my Cotswold home, and whenever I wear it everyone comments on how lovely it is. There really is nothing like it and I love it because it truly deviates away from the usual popular fragrances.

What perfume should I try?
I'm going to say last year's Pink Peony & Rhubarb as it marked my first collaboration with Bronnley. It was a great honour to be asked to paint for such a classic company and I really thought that as the fragrance had such a delicately watercolour feel it matched perfectly with my style.

For more information about Helen you can visit her website at www.helencampbellart.co.uk or go to Bronnley.co.uk to see her illustration for their new fragrance, Iris & Wild Cassis.

No comments:

Post a Comment