Monday 30 May 2016

STEPHAN'S SIX - MARK MANLEY


He started by doodling on a post-it note and went on to become a published artist with his book @3MinuteDoodle. Mark Manley has managed to do something different in the world of art and he's sketched theatre to film, and everything in between. With a career based around speed his answers to "Stephan's Six" are short, sharp and perfectly drawn.

What is the first smell that you can remember?
That would be my nan's baking. I used to spend most of my weekends with her as a small child, baking cakes and bread and pies etc. That smell always makes me feel safe and happy and loved. When I moved into my flat three years ago, one of the first things I did was to start baking, just so the flat would smell cozy and homely.

What was the first perfume you remember your mum or dad wearing?
Oh... I really am not sure. Dad's definitely not an aftershave person, but he did have some Old Spice! Do they still make that? [They certainly do, and it shows no signs of disappearing anytime soon]. The main perfume smell I remember though is my nan's Lily Of The Valley talc by Yardley.

What was the perfume of your twenties?
I have to be honest, like dad, I'm not a huge scent person. I think the only thing I would have smelled of was fabric conditioner, that beautifully crisp outdoor scent, and Sure deodorant.

What was your biggest perfume mistake?
I spent a lot on Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce but rarely wore it. It's not that I don't like it, I just can't get into the habit of using it. Can you tell that I'm a "body spray" kind of man?

You can only choose one perfume?
It's not a perfume really, but it would have to be the scent of baking. It just makes me feel so contented. [You should try the candle Pain de Vienne by The Hype Noses. It's the scent of a freshly baked croissant and is available from the Avery Perfume Gallery].

What perfume should I try?
I should be asking you that! I would like something that smells subtle and natural? [I would suggest trying London 1969 by 4160Tuesdays. It’s a cheerful citrus with a subtle woody base, and it is wonderfully crisp].

For more information about Mark and his artwork, or to purchase his book, you can visit markmanley.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment