Monday 7 March 2016

STEPHAN'S SIX - JANE DALY


One of the most influential beauty bloggers, Jane Daly started her career in Canadian real estate before switching to perfume and cosmetics. After many years of advising her friends she decided to launch her own beauty website offering fun, facts and fascinating finds. So, I thought it was time to learn a little bit more about Jane Daly for a change, and arranged to ask her "Stephan's Six".

What is the first smell that you can remember?
My first scent memory is the soft leather fragrance of my mother's purses and kid gloves. I'd sit in her closet playing with her lovely bags and put her long opera style gloves on, feeling quite ladylike. I recall how soft the leather was, and the purses also held traces of perfume and lipstick scents. To this day I adore that rose-violet makeup scent.

What perfume do you remember your mum or dad wearing?
I recall standing on tip toe to look on my mother's dresser and seeing the classic houndstooth Miss Dior bottle from the early seventies and Shalimar. The first time I tried the reformulated versions of these gorgeous perfumes I was in shock. I found a vintage Shalimar for my mum a few years ago and it smelled like sepia toned nostalgia and childhood to me. I adore them but I can't wear them, they'll always say "Mum" to my nose.

What was the perfume of your twenties?
Well, my twenties started in the glorious eighties, and I was pretty serious about my perfume. Even then my collection was growing! The standouts for me are Molyneux Quartz and YSL Paris. Quartz reminds me of my first job, which was in real estate, and feeling quite professional and grown up. I was wearing Paris when I had my eldest daughter Emilie. The smell of those gorgeous roses will forever remind me of my sweet little baby girl.

What was your biggest perfume mistake?
I remember shopping in Montreal and ended up in my favourite department store, Ogilvy. I tested L'Artisan Timbuktu on one arm, and Piguet Bandit on the other. As I continued shopping I fell head over heels in love with Bandit and bought it on the way out of the store. I got back home and opened it, excited to wear it. Imagine my surprise to be hit square in the face with birch tar and gasoline! This was not the divine vetiver-incense perfume I'd been huffing on my wrist all day! So I had to go through hoops to get it switched, long distance, to Timbuktu. It's taken me a long time to come around to leather scents. I still don't like Bandit, though!

You can only choose one perfume, what would it be?
Guerlain's Apres L'Ondée, hands down. It scratches every perfume itch I have with its perfect rainy day flowers and sweetness. It effects me on a spiritual level and makes me calm. Perhaps the whispers of Guerlinade in the base reminds me of my mother's Shalimar. All I know is I can't imagine ever being without it.

What perfume should I try?
Ah, that would be the incredible and sadly discontinued Raphael Replique Extrait which was another one of my mother's perfumes. It was the ultimate crisp green mossy delight. They don't make them like this anymore and it's notoriously hard to find, but for any perfume lover Raphael Replique its a must-sniff unicorn.

To read Jane's suggestions and reviews visit her website at dalybeauty.ca or follow her on Twitter at @dalybeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment