Wednesday 1 July 2015

The LYNX effect

We've come a long way since the days of Atlantis and Inca, but the 1983 phenomenon of Lynx (or Axe if you live outside of the UK) shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. Originally used with the same gusto as its older relative Brut, it was the staple of every changing room in the eighties and nineties. It's because the products were always so heavily fragranced, and were used to excess by teenagers, that the whole range still carries the unfair stigma of those early years. So, whilst it's still looked down on with derision by many people, is there a place for the Lynx body spray in the perfumed world of 2015?

Unilever, the company which produces every product that can possibly hold a fragrance, has continued to build on the success of this overbearing child. With the customer wanting more subtlety and grace from a deodorant, Unilever launched new scents which drew inspiration from Dior, Guerlain and even Aqua Manda! If you like Fahrenheit then be inspired by Peace (2013). If you like L'Instant de Guerlain then breathe in Dark Temptation (2008). If Aqua Manda is your weakness then spritz Fever (2009).

We take time to chose a perfume, so the same should go for your deodorant. Remember, you're actually locking it onto your body by putting it under clothes. There is no sunlight to evaporate off the fragrance, and your body heat will keep reactivating the scent. So, chose one that compliments your perfume. The deodorant that matches your EDP can sometimes be a little shrill, so experiment with these "homage" fragrances.

I'll let you into a secret, my bathroom cupboard NEVER has less than six cans of Fever. I love the scent and it lasts, getting more gentle over the course of my working day. I've found a deodorant which goes with every perfume that I love to wear ... and it's not expensive, which is always a plus. So, to finish my ode to this male rite of passage, you need to know that I get more compliments from the scent of Fever than for some of the most expensive fragrances on the market! I don't know if I ever get the "Lynx effect" but I definitely get a fragrance which makes me feel fresh and compliments whatever goes on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment