Monday 23 November 2015

STEPHAN'S SIX - LORNA LUFT


"A legend is a tough act to follow"
, says Lorna Luft, but she is no longer living in the shadow of her famous mother. Daughter to Judy Garland and half-sister to Liza Minnelli, Lorna has proved many times over that she is a talent in her own right. I caught up with her in Palm Springs to ask her "Stephan's Six".

What is the first smell that you can remember?
I remember the smell of the makeup by Max Factor. It was called Pancake! It was like a dry, hard pressed powder that you used to apply with a wet sponge.

What perfume do you remember your mum or dad wearing?
My mother wore Joy by Jean Patou and it always brings back wonderful memories of my childhood. It is a heavy scent and was one of the most expensive fragrances at the time. It always makes me realise how amazing and wonderful my mother was.

What was the perfume of your twenties?
"Y" by Yves Saint Laurent. It was for me the most beautiful, light, sexy, amazing scent and screamed fun in the seventies.

What was your biggest perfume mistake?
The biggest mistake I've ever made was trying anything that had the strong scent of vanilla in it. It makes me physically ill and it smells so vile on me that I have to shower immediately. I remember being in Bloomingdales department store and this girl sprayed me with a new perfume that was full of vanilla. I had to take off the sweater I was wearing and throw it in the garbage outside, people thought I was crazy. All I did was yell "yuck, yuck, get this horrible scent off me".

You can only choose one perfume, what would it be?
I would have to choose something made by my friend Jo Malone. She is a genius. She is modern and you can always be an individual with her scents, whether in your home or on your body. My favourite Jo Malone scent was called White Tie And Tiara, it was a limited edition and it was brilliant. I bought so many bottles, kept them in my refrigerator, and when I saw I was down to my last one I panicked and called every store I knew to see if there was a bottle anywhere! Sadly there wasn't, and that was a bad day. It was my signature scent for such a long time, but now I wear Pomelo by her new company, Jo Loves. She is my "go to" girl!

What perfume should I try?
In the winter I always wear L'heure Bleue, which is a great cold weather perfume, but you really must try ANYTHING by Jo Loves. Go to the new store, it's gorgeous!

Lorna Luft's latest book, A Star Is Born: Judy Garland and the Film that Got Away, is available from Amazon and all good booksellers priced at £20

No comments:

Post a Comment